05 November 2001
- The idea to initiate the Japanese-type education in Malaysia was borne and agreed by both Malaysia and Japan during the course of ASEAN + 3 Summit Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam by the then prime ministers Tun Dr Mahathir Mohammad and Junichiro Koizumi respectively.
- The idea was further deliberated through a series of meetings and discussions by both government officials. Both parties agreed to a technology-based university.
A TASK FORCE WAS APPOINTED
- To conduct a feasibility study of the university.
End Of 2003
AN AGREEMENT ACHIEVED
- An agreement was achieved that the new university should be named Malaysia-Japan International University of Technology (MJIUT).
COOPERATION OF TWO COUNTRIES
- Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) Malaysia presented a proposal to set-up MJIUT in Malaysia. The Malaysian government agreed in principle but calls for a review of the concept and financial arrangement.
- A series of meetings and discussions ensued between MoHE of Malaysia and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) of Japan.
ENGINEERING AND BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
- Leaders of ASEAN countries and Japan consent to cooperate to promote human resource development in engineering and business management through the establishment of MJIUT during Japan- ASEAN Commemorative Summit held in Tokyo.
15 November 2005
THE DEVELOPMENT OF MJIUT
- To spearhead the development of MJIUT, Malaysian Japan University Center (MJUC) was set-up. The Center is headed by its Director, Prof. Dr. Marzuki Khalid and Deputy Director, Assoc. Prof. Dr Azizan Asmuni.
13 December 2005
LAUNCHED ON 11th ASEAN SUMMIT
- MJUC was launched by the prime minister of Malaysia, Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and Junichiro Koizumi, the ex-prime minister of Japan during the 11th ASEAN Summit at KLCC, Kuala Lumpur.
24 May 2006
THE ESTABLISHMENT OF MJIUT
- Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, the then prime minister of Malaysia, together with the then prime minister of Japan, Junichiro Koizumi, reaffirmed their supports for the establishment of MJIUT during a visit by Malaysian prime minister to Tokyo, Japan.
22 August 2007
JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER OFFICIAL VISIT
- Japanese prime minister, Shinzo Abe successor to Junichiro Koizumi during his official visit to Kuala Lumpur, pledged to continue to cooperate with Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to realise the proposal to establish MJIUT, which will serve as a centre for human resource development of the ASEAN countries.
NEW JAPANESE AMBASSADOR HAS BEEN APPOINTED
- Newly appointed Japanese Ambassador Masahiko Horie is keen on the setting up of a Malaysia- Japan International University of Technology and expresses commitment towards its development.
REBRANDING THE NAME OF MJIUT
- The much-delayed MJIUT, is re-named ‘Malaysia- Japan International Institute of Technology’ (MJIIT) seems to be taking steps forward in 2010 towards full-blown establishment.
19 April 2010
REAFFIRMED SUPPORTS FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF MJIIT
- Dato’ Seri Najib Tun Razak, the present prime minister of Malaysia, together with the prime minister of Japan, Dr Yukio Hatoyama, reaffirmed their supports for the establishment of MJIIT during a visit by Malaysian prime minister to Tokyo, Japan.
26 May 2010
APPROVAL TO UTM
- The Malaysian Government Cabinet meeting approved the formation of the Malaysia-Japan International Institute of Technology (MJIIT) to be set up by Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM).
MJIIT ONE OF UTM UNITS
- MJIIT is formally set up by UTM as one of its units with partial autonomy and situated in the International Campus, Kuala Lumpur. Prof. Dr Marzuki Khalid is again appointed to oversee the establishment of MJIIT.
THE SPEARHEAD OF ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES
- Prof. Madya Dr Nor Azian of UTM is appointed as the Deputy Dean of Academic to spearhead the academic programmes of MJIIT.
NEWLY APPOINTED AS A FIRST DEAN
- Prof. Ir. Megat Johari Megat Mohd Noor is appointed as the Dean to lead MJIIT which at this time has already 14 full-time academic staffs and 9 support staffs.
01 June 2012
MJIIT LAUNCHING CEREMONY
- MJIIT Launching Ceremony by Y. A. B. Dato’ Sri Mohd. Najib bin Tun Hj. Abd. Razak, Prime Minister of Malaysia.
04 February 2014
NEWLY APPOINTED AS A SECOND DEAN
- Prof. Datin Dr Rubiyah bt. Yusof is appointed as the Dean.
01 February 2018
NEWLY APPOINTED AS A THIRD DEAN
- Prof. Dr Ali bin Selamat is appointed as the Dean.
For any inquiries,
feel free to contact us at:
Malaysia – Japan International Institute of Technology (MJIIT), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Jalan Sultan Yahya Petra,54100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.