PhD (University of Tsukuba, Japan)
Environmental Engineering and Green Technology, EGT.
Tel: 03 2203 1238
- Algal Biomass Production
- Environmental Biology
- Principal researcher: Development of the extraction, accumulation and volume reduction system for radioactive cesium contaminating soils using protists, 2013-2014, Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research, Challenging Explanatory Research, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan
- Co researcher: Establishment of the extraction and accumulating system for radioactive cesium contaminating soils dispersed into the environment by the Fukushima Daiich Nuclear Power Plant Accident, 2012-2013, Great East Japan Earthquake Recovery and Rebirth Assistance Program, University of Tsukuba
- Co researcher: Construction of novel bio-industries based on the culture firm of microalgae, 2011, Tohoku Marine Science Research Center, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan
- Co researcher: Screening of the high radioactive materials accumulating algae. 2011, Strategic Funds for the Promotion of Science and Technology, Cabinet Office, Japan
- Associate Professor, 2013-2014, University of Tsukuba
- Lecturer, 2008-2013, University of Tsukuba
- Researcher, 2003-2008, University of Tsukuba
- Researcher, 2002-2003, Marine Biotechnology Institute Co. Ltd.
- Research Associate, 1998-2002, University of Tsukuba
- Research Assistant, 1996-1998, University of Tsukuba
- Japan Biology Olympiad Committee Member (Member of Governing Board, 2010-present)
- Publication Committee Member of Japan Biology Olympiad Committee (Chair, 2013-present)
- 20th International Biology Olympiad Executive Committee Member (Director-General of the Secretariat, 2007-2010)
- The Japanese Society of Phycology (1998-present, Board member for membership, 1999-2000)
- Member, The Botanical Society of Japan (1989-present)
- Member, The Japanese Society of Plant Physiologist (1998-present)
- Member, The Society of Sea Water Science, Japan (1998-present)
- Member, Japanese Society for Marine Biotechnology (2001-present)
- Member, The Society of Iodine Science (2001-present)
- Member, The 1st Asia-Oceania Algae Innovation Summit Executive Committee (Director-General of the Secretariat, 2010)
- Marine Biotechnology Research Paper Award 2009. Satoh, M., Iwamoto, K., Suzuki, I. and Shiraiwa, Y. 2009. Cold Stress Stimulates Intracellular Calcification by the Coccolithophore, Emiliania huxleyi (Haptophyceae) Under Phosphate-Deficient Conditions. Marine Biotechnology 11:327–333. (May 2010).
- 5th World Fisheries Congress. Best Poster Presentation. Minami, S., Sato, M., Shiraiwa, Y. and Iwamoto, K. Development of novel methods for evaluating a nori umami taste by applying AMP deaminase, the main factor for synthesizing the taste. (Oct 2008).
- Iwamoto, K., Hara, H., and Ishizaki, K., (2015) Production technology using seawater with freshwater algae and microbes. Chemical Engineering 60: 5-10. (in Japanese).
- Fukuda, S., Iwamoto, K., Atsumi, M., Yokoyama, A., Nakayama, T., Ishida, K., Inouye, I. and Shiraiwa, Y. (2014) Global searches for microalgae and aquatic plants that can eliminate radioactive cesium, iodine and strontium from the radio-polluted aquatic environment: a bioremediation strategy. Journal of Plant Research 127: 79-89.
- Iwamoto, K., and Shiraiwa, Y. (2014) Potentialities of bioaccumulation and decontamination of radioactive substances using microalgae. Seibutsu-kogaku Kaishi 92: 271-275. (in Japanese)
- Iwamoto, K., Fukuyo, S., Okuda, M., Kobayashi, M. and Shiraiwa Y. (2012) Cryopreservation of the chlorophyll d-containing cyanobacteria Acaryochloris marina. Procedia Environmental Sciences 15: 118–125.
- Iwamoto, K., and Shiraiwa Y. (2012) Characterization of intracellular iodine accumulation by iodine-tolerant microalgae. Procedia Environmental Sciences 15: 34–42.
- Minami, S., Sato, M., Shiraiwa, Y. and Iwamoto, K. (2011) Molecular characterization of adenosine 5′-monophosphate deaminase – the key enzyme responsible for the umami taste of nori (Porphyra yezoensis Ueda, Rhodophyta). Marine Biotechnology 13: 1140-1147.
- Satoh, M., Iwamoto, K., Suzuki, I. and Shiraiwa, Y. (2009) Cold stress stimulates intracellular calcification by the coccolithophore, Emiliania huxleyi (Haptophyceae) under phosphate-deficient conditions. Marine Biotechnology 11:327–333.
- Iwamoto, K. and Shiraiwa, Y. (2005) Salt-regulated mannitol metabolism in algae. Marine Biotechnology 7: 407 – 415.
- Iwamoto, K., Kawanobe, H., Ikawa, T. and Shiraiwa, Y. (2003) Characterization of salt-regulated mannitol-1-phosphate dehydrogenase in the red alga Caloglossa continua. Plant Physiology 133：893-900.